[asterisk-users] PRI Error on span 1: Received MDL/TEI management message, but configured for mode other than PTMP

jg webaccounts at jgoettgens.de
Wed Feb 19 10:15:18 CST 2014

Eric!

The pcap trace seems to contain only idle data, and there is nothing unusual.

As far as I know, PRI always uses  the static TEI value of  0, as there is only  a single
"terminal equipment (TE). The TEI assignment procedure is only relevant if there is a BRI
connection on a so called "S0 bus" and the TE operates in point-to-multipoint mode. Then the
automatically assigned TEI is within the range 64 to 126. Sangoma ISDN products using
DAHDI/libpri do not have any problem with this in any mode.

There are always spurious MDL (related  to supervisory frames, or so) messages, but they have no
impact on actual calls.

If there many calls on ISDN lines and you need to restart Asterisk/DAHDI/Wanpipe, then it is
likely that the system is in an inconsistent state. Some phones ring, but cannot be answered, or
answered and the other side cannot hear the other side, and stuff like that. I don't see right
now how this relates to your problem, but you could try to capture the SETUP (followed by CALL
PROCEEDING, ALERTING, CONNECT, STATUS, ...) messages from in- and outbound calls and log what
happens.

jg