[asterisk-users] How does extensions.lua compares to extensions.conf ?

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Fri Feb 14 00:19:03 CST 2014

We use extensions.conf, AEL, and AGI scripts.    Debugging AEL scripts can be....interesting, but worth it.   I also like being able to program in a real language

Our extensions.conf handles the incoming call initially, an AGI is then run which talks to the database and does the heavy lifting.  It sets a bunch of channel variables and passes control back to the dialplan, in case something custom needs to be done.  An AEL script with a few macros in it does the actual dialing and is called after the custom stuff is done.    The AEL scripts are seldom changed.

I'm not a fan of dialing from inside AGIs due to a traumatic experience trying that back in the 0.65 / 1.2 eras, all of that is handled in the AEL script.