[asterisk-users] Lots of calls, less memory

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Mon Feb 10 16:12:17 CST 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 10:39 -0500, Tech Support wrote:
> Rather than speculate, take a look at the output of "top". If you're
> running out of memory, shut down useless processes. You'd be surprised what
> processes get started by default that you don't need. You should also check
> the Asterisk logs and look at the last few things Asterisk did right before
> it restarted. You may also want to consider not loading Asterisk modules
> that you are never going to use. Just a suggestion.
> Regards;
> John

how about running "free" or "vmstat" inside cron every hour or so?
If you do a "vmstat 1 10" each hour on the hour, it tells you 10 times
with one second interval the amount of mem you got.
If you do that within cron, you can see the difference during a couple
of days.

Running out of mem, will cause unexpected results (to be found in
syslog), though rebooting should not be one of them.

for unintended reboots there are a lot of hardware related causes though
Some are easier to detect (like high temp) some are harder.
My most favorite is a moron-co-worker, touching sensative parts (cpu,
mem, mobo) with his ESD-unprotected hands. Problems might show up even
after months or years after the crime has been commited.

hw