[asterisk-users] How to Busy signals on DAHDI

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 01:42:46 CST 2014

2014-02-04 Richard Mudgett <rmudgett at digium.com>:

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Olivier <oza.4h07 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On a Asterisk 1.6.1 powered system, I've just discovered that using
>> Busy() application in dialplan was no enough to send a Busy signal on
>> incoming Dahdi channel.
>>
>> On this specific install, adding an Answer()) and a Playtone() statement
>> in dialplan triggered sending of busy tone but I'm still surprised by my
>> findings.
>>
>> Should I expect public switch to send a Busy tone to caller whenever
>> Asterisk triggers Busy app or did I miss something ?
>>

> It depends upon what kind of DAHDI channel.  If it is an analog FXS/FXO
> port then
> you have to answer for the busy tone to be heard by the caller because as
> far as the
> telco is concerned it delivered a call to a non-busy line.

That makes sense.

Then I'm wondering if playing a Busy tone is enough to let Caller's telco
or device ask for automatic redial.
I think this feature is only available ISDN or equivalent networks.

>   If it is an ISDN
> channel then it depends upon what you have the priindication option set
> to.  With
> priindication=outofband then a busy cause code is sent to the network and
> the call
> is hung up.  With priindication=inband then a busy tone is sent after a
> possible
> PROGRESS message.

Thank you very much  for sharing this.
I'm gonna check what's really happening from caller's perspective when such
parameter is set.
I would expect a busy tone (and the opportunity for automatic redialing).