[asterisk-users] Connect Asterisk to WiFi

Joseph syscon780 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 14:45:19 CST 2014

On 12/23/14 18:59, Rusty Newton wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Joseph <syscon780 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Most cell phone don't have a USB port but you are correct, maybe I just need
>> IAX2 soft-phone like:
>> Zoiper - it works on most of the platforms.  I think Zoiper registers
>> directly with Asterisk IAX2 (if configured) as an extension, isn't it?
>
>If your cellphone is capable of a Wi-Fi connection and you can find a
>softphone such as zoiper that will run on it, yes it could talk
>directly to Asterisk via IAX2 protocol. A softphone could also talk to
>Asterisk over other protocols such as SIP.
>
>The configuration will depend on whether you are trying to connect
>over a local wireless LAN, or from the Internet back to your server.
>
>Here is a tutorial that features zoiper:
>https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Hello+World
>
>The tutorial assumes you are running Zoiper on the PC, but setting it
>up should be similar.
>

>--
>Rusty Newton
>Digium, Inc. | Community Support Manager
>445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - US
>direct: +1 256 428 6200

I used zoiper the setup was easy and I like IAX protocol; easier to setup over the firewall.
I codec options are: (g723|gsm|ulaw|alaw|g729|speex|ilbc)

I think g723 or g729 are not free so my only options are gsm, ulaw, alaw.
Since the connection goes over the WAN and wifi, I'm limited to gsm.

--
Joseph