[asterisk-users] Connect Asterisk to WiFi

Rusty Newton rnewton at digium.com
Tue Dec 23 18:59:05 CST 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Joseph <syscon780 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most cell phone don't have a USB port but you are correct, maybe I just need
> IAX2 soft-phone like:
> Zoiper - it works on most of the platforms.  I think Zoiper registers
> directly with Asterisk IAX2 (if configured) as an extension, isn't it?

If your cellphone is capable of a Wi-Fi connection and you can find a
softphone such as zoiper that will run on it, yes it could talk
directly to Asterisk via IAX2 protocol. A softphone could also talk to
Asterisk over other protocols such as SIP.

The configuration will depend on whether you are trying to connect
over a local wireless LAN, or from the Internet back to your server.

Here is a tutorial that features zoiper:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Hello+World

The tutorial assumes you are running Zoiper on the PC, but setting it
up should be similar.

--
Rusty Newton
Digium, Inc. | Community Support Manager