[asterisk-users] Bridge configuration in Asterisk 13 [Spam score:8%]

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Tue Dec 9 15:48:49 CST 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Patrick Beaumont <
p.beaumont at hatsoffsoftware.co.uk> wrote:

>  Thanks Richard. This is exactly the answer I was looking for.
>

>  I'm now assuming that Asterisk 11 was using it's equivalent
> "bridge_simple" but I was getting confused because the only bridge module I
> saw in modules.conf was bridge_softmix. When I upgraded to Asterisk13 that
> would have been the only bridge getting loaded at first.
>

>  Is it expected that if bridge_softmix handled a normal two party call
> then MOH would no longer function?

That is correct.  bridge_softmix is optimized for multi-party conferencing
where passing
control frames such as hold/unhold to other parties in the bridge is not a
good idea.  For
example, if three parties are in a bridge and if party A pressed its hold
button then that
should not necessarily prevent parties B and C from talking to each other.
Using
bridge_softmix for a normal two party call is a last resort.  It works
reasonably well as a
normal two party bridge technology but it is computationally expensive and
not intended
for that purpose.

Richard