[asterisk-users] Understanding local channels

Mitch Claborn mitch_ml at claborn.net
Mon Aug 25 14:57:18 CDT 2014

Here's my current specific scenario.  I have a working "call me now"
solution on our web site.  The customer types in their phone number, it
goes into our normal "sales" asterisk queue via an AMI action.  When the
agent answers the call, he gets a brief announcement then asterisk dials
the customer's number.  (This works in Asterisk 11.  There is an
apparent bug in asterisk 12 with queue variables:
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-24267)  It works, but
I'm struggling to understand how.

*AMI Action:*
Action: Originate
Channel: Local/s at callmenow/n
Context: dial-to-customer
Exten: s
Async: true
Variable: MMCALLMENOWID=107
Timeout: 999999
Callerid: Call Me Now <778>

*Dial Plan:*
[callmenow]
exten => s,1,NoOp(callmenow: Queue without answer)
   same =>n,Queue(sales,Rtc)

[dial-to-customer]
exten => s,1,NoOp(dial-to-customer channel=${CHANNEL(name)})
   same =>n,Wait(1)
   same =>n,Playback(custom/callmenow-announce)
   ; do some more stuff
   same
=>n,Dial(${TOLL}/${MMCUSTOMER_NUMBER},,TKU(dial-to-cust-connect-sub))

Mitch