[asterisk-users] Error: 'LENGTH' is not a recognized built-in function name

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Sun Aug 10 21:31:41 CDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Deepak Rawat
<deepaksingh.rawat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Deepak Rawat <deepaksingh.rawat at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I modified the query in res/res_config_odbc.c.
>> Original:  "SELECT MAX(LENGTH(var_val)) FROM %s WHERE filename='%s'"
>> Modified: "SELECT MAX(LEN(var_val)) FROM %s WHERE filename='%s'"
>>
>> I rebuilt the code and installed Asterisk again. Now static realtime is
>> working. Should I file a bug report?

You're more than welcome to; at the same time, the number of people
using MS SQL Server with Asterisk is not tremendously high - at least
when compared with the alternatives. Unfortunately, this is one place
where making things compatible is problematic: MySQL and PostgreSQL
(which are far more likely to be used with Asterisk) along with Oracle
use LENGTH, not LEN.

Your solution, as it is currently, wouldn't be acceptable, as it would
cause far more problems than it would solve. About the only way I
could see solving this would be to make it configurable some place.

Given the relatively few number of people who use MS SQL Server, I
wouldn't expect this issue to receive a lot of attention without a
patch.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager