[asterisk-users] Dahdi > CAPI migration

Toney Mareo halflife4 at gmx.com
Thu Aug 7 05:10:18 CDT 2014

Hello Folks,
I looking to migrate a pbx from one server to another. The original server has this ISDN card:

00:00.0 ISDN controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network Controller [HFC-4S] (rev 01)

The new server:
00:00.0 I2O: Digital Equipment Corporation StrongARM DC21285 (rev 04) << AVM ISDN Controller C4

Now I'm not fully aware of both's cards functions since the manuals are very brief. What I heard is that the later card does not support some NT commands what I might going to need at this migration. I can't really say if one card is "better" than the other one.
Unfortunately the two uses completely different drivers. The first card uses dahdi, the second uses capi. I want this migration go as smooth as possible with the least downtime so I looking for some help
maybe someone has more experience with these cards.

I also read something about CAPI uses completely different dial plans.
So all the Asterisk configurations are migrated from the old server to the new one.

By following this guide:
http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/avm_c4.html

I have the C4 modul loaded. My asterisk box is Asterisk 1.6.0.26-FONCORE-r78 (Trixbox).

How can I see that this C4 card is really working from asterisk?

What is the difference between the chan_dahdi.conf and chan_capi.conf?

Can't I just tell it somewhere to use the new card and I don't have to touch the existing dialplans etc?

Thanks!