[asterisk-users] Asterisk -rx, how expensive is it? Should you avoid "spamming" it?

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Thu Apr 24 13:58:30 CDT 2014

That's a good point also - if you're doing something automated, AMI is
likely a better option.  The connection to Asterisk is persistent, and
information output is structured and we take pains not to break the API
definition, which is not true of CLI output.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:20:37PM +0200, Mikael Fredin wrote:
> > Just like the subject sais - how expensive is it to execute a lot of
> these
> > commands to keep track of different things in asterisk?
> >
> > I have avoided doing this because it feels a bit like a risk to spam the
> > asterisk CLI this way, but is it really?
> >
> > CPU-wise it doesn't seem very expensive to do it 100 times a second
> (from a
> > simple test I did), but is it possible it will affect the asterisk
> service
> > in any other negative way?
>
> It "feels" very expensive. Part of it is because of starting a new
> instance of Asterisk. It will not load any module and such, but if you
> care about speed, you can use netcat (it takes some care).
>
> You'll also encounter some artificial delays in the response which make
> it feel more expensive.
>
> The main reason to avoid it is because its output is not intended for
> automated parsing.
>
> --
>                Tzafrir Cohen
> icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> +972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> http://www.xorcom.com
>
> --

[image: Digium logo]
Scott Griepentrog
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 317 507 4029
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org