[asterisk-users] Asterisk -rx, how expensive is it? Should you avoid "spamming" it?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Apr 24 12:47:47 CDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:20:37PM +0200, Mikael Fredin wrote:
> Just like the subject sais - how expensive is it to execute a lot of these
> commands to keep track of different things in asterisk?
>
> I have avoided doing this because it feels a bit like a risk to spam the
> asterisk CLI this way, but is it really?
>
> CPU-wise it doesn't seem very expensive to do it 100 times a second (from a
> simple test I did), but is it possible it will affect the asterisk service
> in any other negative way?

It "feels" very expensive. Part of it is because of starting a new
instance of Asterisk. It will not load any module and such, but if you
care about speed, you can use netcat (it takes some care).

You'll also encounter some artificial delays in the response which make
it feel more expensive.

The main reason to avoid it is because its output is not intended for
automated parsing.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com