[asterisk-users] Asterisk -rx, how expensive is it? Should you avoid "spamming" it?

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Thu Apr 24 10:58:09 CDT 2014

How much Asterisk is affected depends on both how often you run a command,
and even more significantly, what command you run (and which version of
Asterisk).

Commands that display information about every active channel, for example
"sip show peers", may slow other processing significantly because they have
to briefly lock the data structures to insure valid information.  There
have been improvements in more recent versions of Asterisk that reduce the
negative affects of this by looking at cached information instead of
locking everything.

On the other hand, requesting specific information (sip show peer X) or
more generic information (sip show inuse) will have much less affect on
other activity in Asterisk.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Mikael Fredin <mikael at wiraya.com> wrote:

> Just like the subject sais - how expensive is it to execute a lot of these
> commands to keep track of different things in asterisk?
>
> I have avoided doing this because it feels a bit like a risk to spam the
> asterisk CLI this way, but is it really?
>
> CPU-wise it doesn't seem very expensive to do it 100 times a second (from
> a simple test I did), but is it possible it will affect the asterisk
> service in any other negative way?
>
> Regards,
> Mikael
>
> --

[image: Digium logo]
Scott Griepentrog
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 317 507 4029
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org