[asterisk-users] Anyone used WatchGuard SIP ALG?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 12:26:58 CDT 2014

In article <616B4ECE1290D441AD56124FEBB03D0818EB7AE075 at mailserver2007.nyigc.globe>,
Eric Wieling <EWieling at nyigc.com> wrote:
> I would be very surprised is anyone uses WatchGuard SIP ALG.   For the
> past 12 years the advice has always been "Disable SIP ALG and let
> Asterisk do the NAT fixup itself" on any firewall, regardless of brand.
> I wish you the best of luck.

The only way we were able to get that to work was by using the
"media_address" setting within sip.conf to override the IP address in the
SDP:

; The IP address used for media (audio, video, and text) in the SDP can also be overridden by using
; the media_address configuration option. This is only applicable to the general section and
; can not be set per-user or per-peer.
;
; media_address = 172.16.42.1

However, this only works if the box is ONLY talking to outside SIP
endpoints, since for some bizarre reason, media_address is global
rather than per-peer. So setting it to the customer's external IP
address renders all internal SIP endpoints non-functional, as they
then receive the external IP address in the SDP.

But as I said, the proper solution to a broken SIP ALG is to fix the
ALG, not just to give up on it. There's no reason it can't be made
to work correctly, and it enables RTP ports to be opened and closed
as required, instead of having a complete range permanently open.

Such a pity WatchGuard is closed-source.

Cheers
Tony

Tony Mountifield