[asterisk-users] Old Asterisk Release wanting to upgrade ...

Josh Metzger joshdmetzger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 08:15:26 CDT 2014

A little while back, I upgraded some systems from Asterisk 1.4 (I believe
it was 1.4.29.1, and they were already running DAHDI), to 11.  11 made the
most sense as far as it being a LTS release so it would be longer before
being forced into a new version (as far as continued bug fixes and things),
and I figured it would be more stable than 12.

The upgrade wasn't too difficult, even jumping several versions.  I
*strongly* suggest reading the various "UPGRADE-XX" files that come with
the Asterisk source so you don't get caught by any changes between
versions.  There are quite a few changes and each dialplan is different, so
things that caught me would be different than what you might run into.
Those upgrade text files are extremely useful in this case.

Beyond that, I spent a lot of time migrating my config files.  Since newer
versions have newer / different options, I didn't just keep my old files.
For example, for SIP.CONF, I went through and modified the default settings
in the new file to match what I needed, copied over my site-specific sip
definitions from the old file, then double-checked everything.  I did that
with each file that I had modified (and in your case, you'll have to go
from zapata.conf to chan_dahdi.conf).  It can be tedious, but it really
only took me a day or two (taking time to double-check my changes).
Overall, not a bad experience at all.

Josh