[asterisk-users] OpenVox G400P network registration problems ** SOLVED **

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 06:21:50 CDT 2013

It took an OpenVox engineer to sort out this obscure problem in the end, but
it was pretty much as I suspected:  the Quectel M20 GSM module serving span 1
was stuck in an unusual state, in which it would only operate in the 900 MHz
band.  Fine for O2, Vodafone and Tesco; but no good for T-Mobile or Orange!

What fixed it was this:

cli> gsm send at 1 AT+QBAND=\"GSM850_EGSM_DCS_PCS_MODE\"

(note the backslashes before the speech marks).

I had actually *almost* managed to work this out for myself, except for
missing the backslashes; without which, it didn't work.

Anyway.  If you have a G400P card  (or, presumably, a G400E -- which uses the
same GSM modules, just has a different host interface)  and some SIM slots seem
to be locked to a particular phone company  (or group of phone companies)
then this might well be what is up with yours.

Check with

cli> gsm send at 1 AT+QBAND@

(Replace 1 with the number of the misbehaving span.  The CLI will replace the
@ sign with a question mark.)   If the response you get is anything other than

+QBAND: "GSM850_EGSM_DCS_PCS_MODE"

then this fix is what you need to do.  (If you get no response at all, then try

cli> gsm show span 1

which will include the result from the last AT command -- assuming it hasn't
been overwritten by a signal strength report in the meantime, in which case
repeat the AT+QBAND@ command.)

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.