[asterisk-users] OpenVox G400P network registration problems

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 10:35:36 CDT 2013

Is anybody intimately familiar with the OpenVox G400P card, or the Quectel M20
RF modules fitted to it?

I am having a strange network connectivity issue with just such a card, as
follows:

The card was previously used with four O2 SIMs, and -- once I mastered
creating message PDUs! -- worked beautifully, save for the fact that O2's
definition of "unlimited" as in text messages turned out not to be the same as
that found in the Oxford English Dictionary :(

Replacement SIM cards were duly ordered, and this is when the problem has
manifested itself.

Span 1 will not register a T-Mobile SIM. Issuing AT+COPS=? shows only O2 and
Vodafone available as operators on this span. Issuing the same command on any
other span shows Orange, T-Mobile, O2 and Vodafone available. The SIM however
worked properly in a mobile phone handset.  Performing "gsm power off 1", "gsm
power off 2", swapping the SIMs between these spans and then performing "gsm
power on 1" and "gsm power on 2" results in the recalcitrant SIM registering
on span 2, and the SIM formerly from span 2 not registering on span 1.

I'm guessing the Quectel M20 GSM module on span 1 has got itself into a
strange state; because it was also necessary to issue "gsm show span 1" to
read the result of the last AT command (on other spans, the result appears in
the Asterisk CLI). Do you know of a way of hard-resetting it? (The obvious
"ATZ" does not work, neither does "gsm power off 1" followed by "gsm power on
1").

Software versions:
Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.6
Asterisk 1.8.11-cert5
Dahdi 2.6.1+2.6.1
Chan_extra 2.0.5
(Yes, these are all a bit out-of-date; but they worked before.  All I did was
swap over the SIM cards.)

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.