[asterisk-users] permission problems on amazon ec2

Sean Darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 17:54:41 CDT 2013

I'm marching forward trying to get asterisk running on a amazon EC2
instance, Fedora 19.

If I start it from the terminal all works. I can login as  user
"asterisk" and start asterisk.

But if I try to use systemctl to start it automatically I get the error
it doesn't have the permission to open asterisk.conf.

cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/asterisk.service
[Unit]
Description=Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
Environment=HOME=/var/lib/asterisk
WorkingDirectory=/var/lib/asterisk
User=asterisk
Group=asterisk
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/asterisk -f -C /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf
ExecStop=/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx 'core stop now'
ExecReload=/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx 'core reload'

and if I login as asterisk:

[asterisk at myip ~]$ /usr/sbin/asterisk -f -C /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf

it works. I can login from another terminal.

But if I do systemctl start asterisk I get:

systemd[1]: Started Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon..
asterisk[711]: Unable to open specified master config file
'/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf', using built-in defaults

ls -l /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 asterisk asterisk 3938 Sep  7 22:19
/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf

Going nuts here.

sean