[asterisk-users] Tired of dropouts and garbled phone calls - where to go next?

Ron Wheeler rwheeler at artifact-software.com
Mon Oct 28 14:59:59 CDT 2013

I am reaching the same level of frustration.
I have tried to find the source of the problems.
We have IAX2 to our VoIP provider and SIP phones attached to the
Asterisk - No analogue.
We have a very lightly loaded 60 Mbs cable link to the Internet that
tests pretty close to that most of the time.

I have not found any good tools to track down the causes of poor voice
quality.
In my case, I have good incoming quality and terrible quality going out.
That is, I can hear people perfectly well but they complain that my
voice drops out and is garbled regardless of who places the call.
As a result,  I use Skype for all of my calls and if someone calls me, I
call them back on Skype if they have any problems.
I don't understand why Skype works so well and Asterisk works so poorly
on the same environment.

Googling "Asterisk poor audio quality" return several hundred thousand