[asterisk-users] Tired of dropouts and garbled phone calls - where to go next?

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Mon Oct 28 13:47:40 CDT 2013

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 10/28/2013 01:29:13 PM:

> From: Eddie Mikell <emikell at rimmkaufman.com>
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com,
> Date: 10/28/2013 01:29 PM
> Subject: [asterisk-users] Tired of dropouts and garbled phone calls
> - where to go next?
> Sent by: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
>
> All,
>
> The users in our organization are well, quite frankly, sick of phone
> service that is being provided.  The choppy phone calls, and drop
> outs are detrimental to our sales force.
>
> I've tried about everything I can think of.
>
> Moved the asterisk server from VM machine to dedicated machine
> More than enough bandwidth
> Setting 802.1p = 7
> Set Dedicated voice traffic 35% of bandwidth.
>
> Not sure what option would be the best
>
> Put analog lines in the conference room to avoid the dropouts -
> leave the sip lines in place for day to day use
> Hire a consultant
> Ditch the system and buy a pre-packaged system - RingCentral or some
such.

> There are no local asterisk professionals who can help, and we are a
> little leery of opening up our system to outside consultants.
>
> Anyone else face the above, and finally abandoned Asterisk for a
> commercial system?
>
> We have 167 users.
> I use Grandstream GXP 2100 on the desktop and Polycom ip6000 for the
> conference rooms.
>
> Suggestions welcome.
>
> Best
>
> Eddie

Does the garbled audio and dropouts only occur on outside calls, or do you
get them on calls between extensions? How is your phone service delivered
to your site?

If the extension to extension calls are clear, you need to be looking at
your phone service and how you connect to it. If your local extensions are
not clear, then you need to look at your asterisk implementation and your
network.

If your incoming circuits are delivered via SIP, are you sure you have end
to end QoS between your office and your phone provider? You can set all
the QoS you want on the packets as they leave your network, but if your
provider isn't honoring the QoS packets, then you can easily have audio
issues. One of my locations has SIP service provided over a DSL line from
the SIP provider. Just last week, the DSL line went down. We routed the
calls out our standard internet connection and while it did work, we had
audio dropouts (though only on incoming audio, the other end could hear us
just fine). As soon as the DSL line was fixed and we routed back over
their network, all the audio cleared up. It is the difference between low
ping times and good QoS and higher ping times and providers who may not
honor QoS.