[asterisk-users] is g729 codec free? or under license???

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Oct 7 08:34:31 CDT 2013

Darryl Moore wrote:
> Thank you Steve, and I read a bit more on the web on this subject
> including your own well reasoned page at
> http://www.soft-switch.org/patents/index.html
>
> However, despite wide acceptance of the patentability of such codecs
> (unfortunately), whether they are in fact software patents or not
> appears to be a matter of opinion. The FSF and Fedora both refer to
> codec patents as being software patents.
>
> http://endsoftpatents.org/2011/02/usa-patent-reform-not-enough/
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Software_Patents
>
> A quick google search of both terms will show that there are a great
> many people who see codec patents as software patents, so I don't think
> I am alone there.
<snip>

Law is ALWAYS open to interpretation, so that is not surprising.
See if you can get any lawyer, and especially a patent attorney, to give you a definitive answer! You will not get one.
Seldom will you ever get an "eggspurt legal opinion" Any good lawyer will tell you "maybe", or if there is any doubt don't do it!
Law is not precisely measurable. No meter or O'scope to assist here.
Any A**hole can sue anyone for the filing fee, and the results are up to the opinion of a judge or jury.
The lawyers want it that way, so it isn't ever going to be any different.

John Novack

--

Dog is my Co-pilot