[asterisk-users] is g729 codec free? or under license???

Frederic Van Espen frederic.ve at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 02:46:26 CDT 2013

On 10/02/2013 09:33 AM, s m wrote:
>   and the last question is how many license key should i buy? i read
> that license for g729 is per-channel but i don't understand what channel
> exactly means here. this is my scenario :
>
> 10endpoints....pbx181...pbx182...pbx183...10endpoints
>
> pbx181 and pbx183 has 10 endpoints connected to them. the call between
> these endpoints are established by pbx182. if i want to buy a license
> for pbx182, how many license key do i need? just one because i have just
> one connection on it?  or two, because two trunks is defined on it? or
> as many as endpoints which are connected to each other via pbx182?

AFAIK, you need one license for each channel that is transcoding from
one given codec to g729 (or the other way around).

So if at any given time on an asterisk box you would have a maximum of 3
simultaneous calls that are g729 at one end and ulaw at the other, you
would need a license key for 3 transcoding channels.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Frederic