[asterisk-users] Asterisk - Soundcard - Recording?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Wed May 29 08:20:36 CDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Tuesday 28 May 2013, Tim Nelson wrote:
> > Greetings-
> >
> > I've got a curious project that I could use some input on. I'd like
> > to use
> > Asterisk to record some audio channels via USB 'soundcard'. When
> > audio
> > passes through the soundcard, Asterisk should grab that audio
> > channel
> > (CONSOLE?), and write it to a wav file. I'm perfectly competent
> > with the
> > dialplan portion of the recording, but I don't know about the
> > following:
> >
> > -How does Asterisk "know" a new audio stream/source is
> > beginning/ending?
> > -Can I have more than one "CONSOLE" device
> > -Is ALSA or OSS the preferred audio system with Asterisk these days
> > (Asterisk 11 presumably)
> >
> > Any thoughts? Or, do you have any alternative ideas that would work
> > better
> > than using Asterisk for this?
>
> Do you need to use Asterisk for this?  What's wrong with using the
> "rec"
> command?
>
> $ rec -b8 -r8k -c1 file01.wav

That is a good suggestion, but of course I'd need to add some 'magic' for control of the recording at various intervals, after silences, etc.

> Also, please -- and don't take this too personally, because you are
> by no
> means the only guilty party; this applies to other users as well, and
> they
> know who they are -- when asking questions on this list, please try
> not to
> come across sounding furtive or evasive.  Not only is it easier to
> answer a
> question with too much information than too little, but a question
> asked with
> such an air of secrecy about it actually dissuades people from
> offering help.

It was not my intent to come across this way. To be honest, the project I'm working on isn't even completely fleshed out, and I too am slightly 'in the dark' on details. I was simply doing some preemptive investigative work into the software side of things.

> It looks as though you are deliberately concealing information
> because you
> don't trust us not to "steal" an idea for which you are about to take
> the full
> credit.  This is contrary to the very spirit of the mailing list,
> which is all
> about sharing information, and people will naturally close ranks to
> squeeze
> out that sort of behaviour.

Your position is understood, but incorrect in this case. And, again, there is no deliberate concealment, only a lack of details on my part. :/

--Tim