[asterisk-users] Asterisk - Soundcard - Recording?

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed May 29 04:02:17 CDT 2013

On Tuesday 28 May 2013, Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings-
>
> I've got a curious project that I could use some input on. I'd like to use
> Asterisk to record some audio channels via USB 'soundcard'. When audio
> passes through the soundcard, Asterisk should grab that audio channel
> (CONSOLE?), and write it to a wav file. I'm perfectly competent with the
> dialplan portion of the recording, but I don't know about the following:
>
> -How does Asterisk "know" a new audio stream/source is beginning/ending?
> -Can I have more than one "CONSOLE" device
> -Is ALSA or OSS the preferred audio system with Asterisk these days
> (Asterisk 11 presumably)
>
> Any thoughts? Or, do you have any alternative ideas that would work better
> than using Asterisk for this?

Do you need to use Asterisk for this?  What's wrong with using the "rec"
command?

$ rec -b8 -r8k -c1 file01.wav

Also, please -- and don't take this too personally, because you are by no
means the only guilty party; this applies to other users as well, and they
know who they are -- when asking questions on this list, please try not to
come across sounding furtive or evasive.  Not only is it easier to answer a
question with too much information than too little, but a question asked with
such an air of secrecy about it actually dissuades people from offering help.
It looks as though you are deliberately concealing information because you
don't trust us not to "steal" an idea for which you are about to take the full
credit.  This is contrary to the very spirit of the mailing list, which is all
about sharing information, and people will naturally close ranks to squeeze
out that sort of behaviour.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.