[asterisk-users] Performance Asterisk large installation on Vmware/Xen

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Sat May 18 16:03:14 CDT 2013

On 18/5/13 8:09 pm, Mitul Limbani wrote:
> Not recommended to run Asterisk on Virualization

I used to share that view, but having done a few medium-sized installs
recently in virtualised environments and encountering no problems to
speak of, I'm not sure it's necessarily the case any more.

Things to look into closely:
   - passing hardware devices from bare metal to VMs is at best
'imperfect', so if you need PSTN connectivity using ISDN or POTS cards,
you're probably best doing that in physical hardware. IP-only stuff
seems to be okay.

   - be *very* careful about the load on the host machine. If you have
total control over the VMs running on each machine, you'll probably be
okay, but if you have to share a bare metal host with other VMs over
which you have no control over the load, you'll run into problems.

  - you may come across problems with timing sources for conferences and
the like, though I understand this has improved considerably in recent
asterisk versions (i.e. no dependency on dahdi_dummy or ztdummy any longer).

FWIW, I've recently been using KVM as an alternative to both Xen and
VMware, and I'm very impressed. It's certainly my preferred VM platform
at the moment (not just for asterisk stuff, but in general).

Kind regards,

Chris