[asterisk-users] Upgrade from 1.0.x to AsteriskNOW 3.0

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Mon May 13 16:27:06 CDT 2013

Hello all.  I was hoping someone out there might have some advice or
suggestions regarding an upgrade from an archaic Asterisk version.

I've been given the daunting task of upgrading a very old Asterisk-1.0.x
install to a recent LTS version.  I'll also need the install to have
high-availability and failover support.

 From my research, it would appear that AsteriskNOW-3.0 might be my best
bet, as it seems to be running Asterisk-11.  I've previously installed
Asterisk-11+FreePBX in a VM, and this appears to be very similar.  Is
there any upside to using AsteriskNOW vs. Asterisk+FreePBX? Other than
the obvious fact that everything is nicely placed on an iso for ease of
installation?

As for the actual upgrade, is it possible to step through each of the
UPGRADE*.txt files under the Asterisk-11 source?  I.e, UPGRADE-1.2.txt
-> UPGRADE-1.4.txt -> UPGRADE-1.6.txt -> UPGRADE-1.8.txt -> UPGRADE.txt?
Or would it be prudent to recreate my current 1.0.x configuration under
Asterisk-11 instead?

Regarding HA/failover, is a hardware solution (such as Digium's
R800/R850) my only option?  During my research I've found scripts on the
internet that allow for failover using arp/nmap, however those appear to
only work for hardware failures.  I would need something that can
account for both hardware and software failures.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give on the subject.
Any suggestions, etc. would help immensely!

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net
Website   - http://blog.drenet.net