[asterisk-users] SMS Scenario

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed May 1 07:57:45 CDT 2013

On Wednesday 01 May 2013, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I need two scenarios:
>
> 1) If someone sent SMS message, then we need to query information from the
> database based on information sent by the SMS (like the name or the mobile
> number), after querying from the database, we need to reply by the SMS.
> Can asterisk do this? To which level?

SMS sending and receiving is all part of chan_extra.

When an SMS message comes in, Asterisk sets some channel variables and fires off
a call to an extension.  This can then call an AGI script to do various things
with the message.

Variables that are set include:  ${SMSSRC} = the sender's number, ${SMSTXT} =
the message text, ${SMSPDU} = the message PDU as hex digits.  You can pass
these as parameters to the AGI script.

> 2) I have vtiger CRM, and it is possible to send SMS (there is a button:
> send SMS), the question is: what is the required to be able to send the
> message from the vtiger CRM via asterisk SMS module?

I haven't done much hacking in the internals of vTiger; but as it's all web-
based, the chances are the "send SMS" button just calls a CGI script.  This
can then issue an Asterisk command to send an SMS message.

All the fun stuff basically is done with external scripts  (AGI for Asterisk-
triggered events and CGI for web browser clicks).

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.