[asterisk-users] SIP account registration fails after upgrade to 1.8

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Fri Mar 22 03:37:58 CDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.nl>
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] SIP account registration fails after
upgrade to 1.8
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 02:46:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:35:16 +0000, Jaap Winius wrote:

> Hopefully, my ISP will see fit to squash this bug ASAP.

Well, I got my answer from them quickly enough: Nope.

Luckily, somebody was kind enough to suggest a workaround. Unfortunately,
it involves, downloading the source code and making a few changes to it
to prevent Asterisk from adding '@<IPaddress>' to the end of the Call-ID
string. Nevertheless, it's easy enough to do. The idea is to look for
this string that appears twice in ./channels/chan_sip.c:

  ast_string_field_build(pvt, callid, "%s@%s",
      generate_random_string(buf, sizeof(buf)), host);

And to change it to:

  ast_string_field_build(pvt, callid, "%s",
      generate_random_string(buf, sizeof(buf)));

Now my Call-IDs look like this:

   Call-ID: 63935a8d2144d4f1309024fd7612f608

Instead of this:

   Call-ID: 4991f57656d159925b296e5b3b06496b@[2001:888:abcd:1::a]

Still, I'd much prefer that my ISP fixed the problem instead, because now
every time a security update becomes available for Asterisk, I'm going to
have to download the source code, make the same changes, recompile it and
install it all over again and again. Ho hum.

Of course, an even better solution would be if Asterisk had a variable
with which to alter the Call-ID string format so that I could omit the IP
address. :-)

Cheers,

Jaap