[asterisk-users] AGI return codes

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Wed Mar 20 06:32:38 CDT 2013

On 20/03/2013, at 10:15 PM, Ishfaq Malik <ish at pack-net.co.uk> wrote:

> I wrote the script! I've not put exit status values in it either.
>
> I've been having a look the source for res_agi_c (as a non c coder) and
> there is a variable called returnstatus which is instantiated with the
> value AGI_RESULT_SUCCESS which I assume is a constant defined elsewhere.
> This variable is where the 4 is coming from.
>
> There are other constants referred to as well so I'm trying to work out
> which one equates to 4 to give me more of an idea of why the script is
> failing.

Return codes can be set by you, or can be returned from the scripting language you work in.

If you were working in Perl, for instance, a return code of 4 means Interrupted System Call.

Check the documentation for your language for a better idea. Also try running your script as the user that Asterisk runs as. Maybe asterisk doesn't have permissions to execute the script. One way to do this is via the "sudo" command, e.g. sudo -u asterisk <path to agi-script>

Thanks,
Andrew