[asterisk-users] ILEC Interconnect: Basic MUX: M13 vs DCS: VT1.5 vs DS3

Brian LaVallee b.lavallee at globaltank.jp
Wed Jun 12 21:56:37 CDT 2013

Hi Nick,

Going from DS1 to OC-n is a multi-step process.  Typically requiring a
hardware device to handle each MUX step.  But you can find hardware that
handles multiple MUX steps together.

VT1.5 is just a raw OC-n channel containing a single DS1.
An M13 device converts between DS3 and DS1.

A DACS (DCS or DXC) provides M13 conversion, sometimes even capable of
extracting the raw VT1.5 signal directly to DS1.

The ILEC transport option you choose really depends on the terminating
interface.  Do you want to connect with a DS3 or OC-n?

No matter what hardware you choose, you will need to convert to single
copper pairs (DS1/T1) to connect to your Asterisk boxes.  So an M13 or DCS
will be necessary to reach the DS1 level.

The device you choose depends on budget and growth expectations.  Typically
a DCS is an expensive investment, handling hundreds of DS3's. An M13 device
is typically a small unit that handles one or two DS3's.

The advantage comes when you add the 29th DS1.  With VT1.5 it's just adding
a single channel, DS3 will require another whole DS3 to get an additional
DS1.

Sincerely,
Brian LaVallee