[asterisk-users] G.729 codec in pass-thru mode

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue Jun 4 15:41:46 CDT 2013

Mark Henry wrote:

> 1. Your softphone is not sending g729

This was a SIP trace of a successful u-law call.  In an earlier post Kamlesh
provided a trace of a failed G.729 call which did not include the dialog between
the Asterisk server and the ITSP.  I asked for this trace so that I could see
the codecs offered by the ITSP.

> 2. canreinvite should be set to yes for using pass-thru mode

I believe that by pass-thru mode [1] Kamlesh means he wants to avoid transcoding
from G.729 to another codec since that requires a license per channel.  Pass-
thru mode can be achieved with "canreinvite=no" as shown by the following line
from the successful u-law SIP trace and Mark Michelson's asterisk-dev post: