[asterisk-users] Dial problem with Asterisk 1.8.4.4

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Wed Jul 17 12:52:35 CDT 2013

One of my sites asked for a way to identify if the person they are calling
on another extension is already on another call. To that end, I wrote a
bit of code in the dialplan for my extensions that checks to see if the
extension they are dialing has a device status that is anything other than
NOT_INUSE. If the device is NOT_INUSE, then it dials the call normally. If
it has a different status, then it dials using the option m(ringing) where
ringing is a musiconhold class that plays a standard ring with a beep at
the end so that they have an audible clue that the other person is on a
call. This works well in most cases, but we have found one case that seems
to cause an issue. If they try to blind transfer a call to an extension
that is on another call, then the person being transferred does not get
the ringing musiconhold played to them.

The basic call flow is that a call comes in from an outside trunk and is
answered by person A. They then hit the transfer button on their phone
(Polycom IP 450) and dial person B. During this time, the caller hears the
standard musiconhold. Person A hears the audio they should hear based on
the m(ringing) option for the Dial application. Person A then hits
transfer again to finish a blind transfer. At this point, the musiconhold
that the caller hears cuts out and is not replaced by the m(ringing)
audio. Any thoughts on if it is possible to make this work?

Kevin Larsen - Systems Analyst - Pioneer Balloon - Ph: 316-688-8208