[asterisk-users] Dongle or extra channel and sip SMS

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Mon Jul 15 03:57:13 CDT 2013

On 15/7/13 3:00 am, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> I need to be able to send SMS messages for campaign or for specific users, also I need to be able to receive SMS messages and do automatic reply.

In my experience, SMS is something best done out of Asterisk. That's not
to say that Asterisk can't do it, of course, just that there are
providers out there who can give you a nice friendly API for easy
integration into your application. This is especially true if you need
to send *lots* of messages in a short space of time: simply adding a
single mobile device with a single SIM isn't going to cut it - you're
going to need a bunch of them, at least. All of those will likely have
different numbers, so you're going to have to handle that for receiving
messages. Then you have to consider that some networks will charge more
to send messages to numbers on the same network vs. a different network,
so you might have to separate out your numbers into networks (easy if
they've never been ported; more tricky if they have).

Based on past projects (in the UK), the cost of multiple SIM contracts,
the necessary hardware to connect them, development time, etc., is
usually more than the cost of paying a third party with a suitable API
<x> per message to deliver them on your behalf.

Kind regards,

Chris