[asterisk-users] Use of "timing test"

Matt Behrens matt at zigg.com
Thu Jul 11 15:08:18 CDT 2013

I'm interested in using the testing a non-DAHDI timing source to have some assurance I'm on a system that's not likely to give me grief over timing-related issues.

I'm familiar with dahdi_test and the guideline of needing 99.975% accuracy for reliable conferencing and such.  (Is that an accurate guideline?  Where did it come from?)

When I started looking at using the timerfd timing source instead, it seemed the "timing test" command was my go-to for checking it, but I'm not sure it's testing the timing source at the same level dahdi_test did, as it's only testing 50 ticks per second?  How much do I really need?  Is it worthwhile to go up to "timing test 1024" to match?

Would really love an authoritative answer to this question, or at least a direction to go in to figure this one out myself.

I tried asking this question on Server Fault first, by the way--if anyone wants the rep for answering it there, here's the link: http://serverfault.com/questions/517556/interpreting-and-using-the-asterisk-timing-test-command