[asterisk-users] sip register peer (the quest for near 100% availability)

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Thu Jan 31 10:49:17 CST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Adam Moffett <adamlists at plexicomm.net>wrote:

> Maybe it's possible to send a NOTIFY to a peer on the last IP it was seen
> at?  I don't think I've seen anything that has a "register" command, but
> lots of devices can get a "check your config" or "reboot" command via SIP
> NOTIFY.

If you can notify, you can call.  This fixes nothing other than refreshing
NAT if that's involved.

> ....I'm more wondering why the peer is unregistered but we still expect to
> communicate with it.  Other than a network problem or the device being
> unplugged...neither of which could be fixed from the server.

I have a feeling that some people in this discussion have a lack of
understanding about the SIP protocol and the underlying networking that
could affect it.  The original post failed to say whether this was on a LAN
without routing, on a LAN with routing, or a WAN.  Each of those could
result in totally different results and solutions.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve