[asterisk-users] sip register peer (the quest for near 100% availability)

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Thu Jan 31 10:26:37 CST 2013

>> Hello. I am aware that 'sip show peers' will display my peers, and that 'sip
>> unregister xxxx' (where xxxx is the peer name) will unregister a peer - however,
>> I want to force registration of a peer from the CLI.
>>
>> Is there any way to force this? I have several user agents and I want to achieve
>> near 100% availability for all peers. I realise that the peer will be 'woken' up
>> at my qualify intervals, but can I actually force registration from the CLI?
>>
> A REGISTER request originates from the peer. How do you propose Asterisk
> ask the unregistered peers to REGISTER in a device agnostic fashion?

Maybe it's possible to send a NOTIFY to a peer on the last IP it was
seen at?  I don't think I've seen anything that has a "register"
command, but lots of devices can get a "check your config" or "reboot"
command via SIP NOTIFY.

....I'm more wondering why the peer is unregistered but we still expect
to communicate with it.  Other than a network problem or the device
being unplugged...neither of which could be fixed from the server.