[asterisk-users] Capture queue agent drop and put caller back in queue

Lenz Emilitri lenz.loway at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 08:07:35 CST 2013

2013/1/21 Mitch Claborn <mitch_ml at claborn.net>

> Asterisk 11
>
> Occasionally we will have a partial power outage, or a piece of network
> equipment will fail, and our queue agents who are on active calls with
> callers will be disconnected from the caller.  What I'd like to do is
> capture those calls and put them back in the queue (at a high priority) so
> that we don't lose the caller.
>
> I've tried to duplicate the situation in my lab: I have one agent in the
> queue, a caller dials into the queue, gets connected to the agent then I
> pull the ethernet cable out of the agent's computer (testing with a
> softphone) but I don't see anything happen on the asterisk console.  core
> show channels shows the 2 channels still bridged even though the agent is
> gone.
>
> Shouldn't asterisk somehow know when the agent disappears?
> How can I accomplish my goal?

I am not sure that from the PoV of the caller this solution would work -
they would experience tens of seconds of silence plus they would have to go
back to the queue. If this happens rarely, you could have a process call
them back instead - you acknowledge what happened and have someone on-line
with the person apologizing.

We have a few clients implementing something like this for calls exiting
the queue on timeouts and it seems to be well-liked by the callers. Of
course it depends on what you are doing and the level of service that
callers come to expect.

Just my two cents,
l.

--