[asterisk-users] Asterisk voicemail minimum length / silence settings

asterisk users ast4774 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:22:37 CST 2013

What I'm trying to achieve is that a voicemail message should be at
least 3 seconds long for it to be saved, but *after that* a prolonged
silence (e.g. 10 seconds) should terminate the call and recording.

My current settings (Asterisk 10.7.0 and 11.2.1) are:

   ; Minimum length of a voicemail message in seconds for the message to be kept
    ; The default is no minimum.
    minsecs=3

    ; How many seconds of silence before we end the recording
    maxsilence=10

With these settings, I'm getting the following warning message.

    WARNING[21671] app_voicemail.c: maxsilence should be less than
minsecs or you may get empty messages

What are the "right" settings for this situation?

Thanks all!