[asterisk-users] OT - Desktop SIP phone with OpenVPN client

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Mon Jan 21 11:28:06 CST 2013

Not sure why you'd say it's OT -- seems perfectly topical to me.
Anyway, I have used the SNOM OpenVPN feature for remote clients.  I'll
be honest: it's a bit of a pain to set up and get working.  This is
triply true if the remote phone is moving around -- to the point that
I'd strongly advise against it.  But if it's staying in one place (e.g.,
a telecommuter's desk) once it's at the remote site, it should do the
job, and reasonably well.

It certainly can use DHCP, though I rather doubt it needs it -- not
quite sure what you're angling for by way of your question.  WiFi was a
PITA; I'd advise against.  (Esp. since -- at least, at the time -- you
needed to download beta firmware to get both WiFi and OpenVPN working at
the same time.)

Note that I haven't touched this in about two years' time, so things
may have changed a bit in the interim.

-Ken

On 2013-01-21 08:21, Olivier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've seen some desktop SIP phones (Snom, Yealink) intregrate a VPN
> (OpenVPN ?) client.
>
> Has someone experience to share about that particular feature ?
> Is this experience rather successful ?
>
>  My underlying question is can one supervise and configure these
> desktop phones, in teleworking environment ?
> Is DHCP required ?
>
> Regards
>
> --

This mail was scanned by BitDefender