[asterisk-users] OT - Desktop SIP phone with OpenVPN client

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Mon Jan 21 08:27:28 CST 2013

Am 21.01.2013 14:21, schrieb Olivier:
> Hello,
>
> I've seen some desktop SIP phones (Snom, Yealink) intregrate a VPN
> (OpenVPN ?) client.
>
> Has someone experience to share about that particular feature ?
> Is this experience rather successful ?
>
> My underlying question is can one supervise and configure these
> desktop phones, in teleworking environment ?
> Is DHCP required ?

With Snom phones, those need an underlying network connection (d'oh, you
wouldn't guess :-). That can be configured just
like you are used to do it with snom phones - DHCP, fixed IP, whichever
you like. They also need a reachable NTP server.

Then they will ( after booting) download the VPN config from your
(hopefully protected) server and connect to the OpenVPN
server. Address assignment on the VPN link is done by the OpenVPN
internal mechanism. You will be able to reach the
phone's web interface, afaik, both over its local address and the
OpenVPN assigned one.

Make sure to either have your PBX on the machine with the OpenVPN daemon
or add appropriate route configuration to the OpenVPN client config.

BR
AMH