[asterisk-users] Voicemail and recordings storage: best practices

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Fri Jan 18 11:44:19 CST 2013

Greetings list,

I'm currently building a new cluster to replace our ageing Asterisk 1.4
infrastructure - it's easier to start from scratch then migrate users
across than it is to upgrade 1.4 to 1.8 in situ.

Anyway, it got me thinking about audio recordings in a multi-server
environment and whether there was a better way to do it. On our existing
1.4 cluster we NFS mount voicemail and recordings directories from
another server (or more accurately a master/backup pair of servers) into
each asterisk server. I'd say it's worked 'okay' - but since less than
10% of our users regularly use call recording, it's never really reached
a point where I/O throughput has been an issue.

So, since I have the opportunity to build up the new cluster from
scrach, I thought it was an ideal opportunity to do a quick straw poll
of the list and see what approaches others are using to store voicemail
and recordings, and to make those available across a multi-server
environment.

Let the discussions begin.

Kind regards,

Chris