[asterisk-users] Verizon SIP "trunking" Field Trial

Michael L. Young myoung at acsacc.com
Fri Jan 4 13:28:54 CST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Carlos Alvarez" <carlos at televolve.com>

> Sounds like the same huge effort it takes to work with
> Qwest/Centurylink, and in the long run we found it simply isn't
> worth it. The few benefits of working with an RBOC are countered by
> the many drawbacks of working with an RBOC.

> Also we recently acquired a half million minutes/mo from a company
> who was tired of dealing with Qwest SIP. They said the same thing I
> said above.

> I suppose the point of what I'm saying is you should really think
> about what you think you will gain from a relationship with them,
> and whether all this is worth it ("all this" means now and how their
> attitude will affect you forever).

Trust me, this was not my choice... They are not fun to deal with when it came to our PRI lines.  After dealing with dropped calls and errors on the T1s, they wouldn't admit that they had a problem until finally they looked at the hardware at the CO while we were down hard (which cost us about 4 - 6 hours downtime) and said, "Oh, we do have a problem".  To make a long story short, it was fixed and has been good since but I was really trying to move us away from Verizon.  Unfortanately, it boils down to cost and Verizon being as big as they are were able to make a deal (getting us out of contracts that had been signed, credits, etc.) that the ultimate decision maker here at the company went for.  That decision maker also has the mindset that we have to stick with the phone company for some reason.  I was strongly against it and wanted to go with a different company.  So, I have to deal with it now.

Thanks for your input.  It pretty much echoes my sentiments.

Michael