[asterisk-users] Verizon SIP "trunking" Field Trial

Michael L. Young myoung at acsacc.com
Thu Jan 3 09:13:08 CST 2013

All,

We are in the process of trying to setup our network to use Verizon's SIP "trunking" product.  They say that since Asterisk is not on their certified list of approved devices, we need to go through a field trial to get it approved before allowing us to use their service.

Where we are at is getting the design approved.  We are trying to watch our budget at the same time.  We have used other providers without any issues with our current setup but it seems that Verizon has their own standards when it comes to this and they don't seem very keen on linux and open source.  Yet, they are willing to work with us and want to see the field trial succeed instead of being rejected from another group within Verizon who will have to approve the final design.

Has anyone in the community had experience with Verizon and their SIP product?  Were you able to get through the field trial successfully?

What was the design that you used to get Asterisk certified with Verizon's network?

Where I am at is that they want us to use an SBC.  One engineer asked about Cisco Call Manager.  I told them that basically if I can accomplish the same thing with a Linux box (routing box and sip proxy box) without having to spend money on SBCs or expensive Cisco gear, that is the route we would like to go.  We are looking at the possibility of handling 140 concurrent calls... that is what they are designing on their end as well.

So, I am asking the community for any input.  I have read on here and seen on IRC that some in the community are successfully using Asterisk with Verizon SIP.  Verizon was going to check and see if they have any notes about that and those particular setups.  Can anyone help share any information or tidbits on how they were able to sucessfully work with Verizon?

Thanks,

--
Michael L. Young