[asterisk-users] No more connections allowed

Ishfaq Malik ish at pack-net.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 04:36:28 CST 2013

Hi

I'm having the same issue as someone else who wrote into this list but
feel I have more information to add and that this is possibly a new bug.

We have multiple servers, most running 1.8.7.0 and one running 1.8.18.0
which is our next upgrade candidate (all servers running CentOS 5).

We have a cron running on all the machines which runs every minute and
gets data from the asterisk and pushes it to a monitoring system. It
gets the information by running

asterisk -rx 'command'

This morning, on the machine running 1.8.18.0 (which is exactly the same
version as the last person to report this problem) I can see in the logs
that there isn't a

Remote UNIX connection disconnected

for every

Remote UNIX connection

Over time these stale/phantom connections build up and we hit the remote
connections limit which renders asterisk completely unresponsive.

This same cron has been running on the 1.8.7.0 machines for about half a
year without this problem ever occurring.

So, the 2 points I want to make are:

Has something happened between 1.8.7.0 to 1.8.18.0 that means executing
an asterisk -rx means the execution isn't completed cleanly from the
point of view of the asterisk service?

Should hitting the limit of the concurrent remote connection really
render the service completely unresponsive (to the point that restarting
using /etc/init.d/asterisk restart doesn't work)?

Thanks

Ish

--
Ishfaq Malik <ish at pack-net.co.uk>
Department: VOIP Support
e: ish at pack-net.co.uk
w: http://www.pack-net.co.uk

Registered Address: PACKNET LIMITED, 2A ENTERPRISE HOUSE, LLOYD STREET
NORTH, MANCHESTER
SCIENCE PARK, MANCHESTER, M156SE
COMPANY REG NO. 04920552