[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 Streaming MOH timing interface

Bob Pierce westmanbob at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:14:26 CST 2013

We are running Asterisk 1.8.5.0 with an uptime of 40 weeks. Just today our
streaming music on hold stopped working. I remember when we had first
installed 1.8 we had an issue where the streaming music on hold would not
work because Music On Hold was using the DAHDI timing module. We needed the
DAHDI timing module loaded so that paging would work. However, at that time
we upgraded to 1.8.5.0 and the system loaded properly with both the dahdi
and pthread timing module with Music On Hold using the pthread timing
module. In that state, everything worked properly - Streaming Music On Hold
worked as well as Paging. That has all continued to work properly for the
last 40 weeks.

I'm wondering of for some reason the Music on Hold service is now using the
DAHDI timing module because when I do "module show like timing" I see:
CLI> module show like timing
Module                         Description                              Use
Count
res_timing_dahdi.so            DAHDI Timing Interface
33
res_timing_pthread.so          pthread Timing Interface
0
2 modules loaded

I believe that the pthread used to show a use count of at least 1 with the
Music On Hold service using that timing source. I suspec that if I restart
the Asterisk service everything will come back up the way that it did last
time. However, I'm wondering if there would be a way to switch the Music On
Hold module back to using pthread timing without restarting the Asterisk
service.

Thanks,
Bob