[asterisk-users] How to connect a POTS robo alert dialer to asterisk with email notification

David Smiley david.w.smiley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 00:30:22 CST 2013

Hi John,

On Feb 2, 2013, at 6:52 PM, John Novack <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org> wrote:
> Sounds like a nice application for an HP Thin Client, AstLinux and an FXS ATA
> Even simpler would be an ATA and a VOIP service, though I don't think much of SIP exposed to the Internet. I suppose since this will only be placing calls from the ATA though.

I can't seem to find a VOIP provider that's pay-per-call (what I want) vs pay-per-month (what I don't want).  At least I don't want to pay more than a few bucks/month for how little I'll use it.

But I think I just came up with my solution.  A cheap ~$60 temperature monitor that uses standard phone service, coupled with Magic Jack.  The Magic Jack Plus is $70 up-front and $30/year; not bad.  I'll look some more for other options first.

> What would you do IF there is an alert?Do you have someone who could respond that is nearby and is able to fix whatever is wrong?

Yes; I have a winter care-taker who happens to live next-door.

~ David