[asterisk-users] OT - Chan-mobile -Bluetooth dongle on remote LAN workstation

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 03:03:55 CST 2013

On 31/01/13 10:15, Olivier wrote:

> 2013/1/31 Sebastian Arcus <shop at open-t.co.uk <mailto:shop at open-t.co.uk>>
>
>     On 31/01/13 07:25, Olivier wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         On a LAN, is it possible to install a bluetooth dongle on one
>         workstation (at this time, this workstation OS is not specified)
>         and use
>         it with chan_mobile ?
>         I've read some USB over IP (or Ethernet) middleware exist but
>         I'm not
>         certain I'm looking at the right direction.
>
>         Regards
>

>     Hi Oliver,
>
>     I have used chan_mobile over the years on a number of occasions with
>     several different Nokia phones. I would say that even if in theory
>     it might be able to work with some USB over IP software for the
>     bluetooth dongle, it's probably not worth the hassle in practice.
>     It's quite likely that it will create too many problems, which will
>     probably outweigh the benefits of what you are trying to do.
>     Bluetooth already introduces a certain delay/latency in the
>     communication path - by adding and IP link in between, that will
>     only get worse.
>
>     Sebastian
>

> Sebastian,
>
> What I had in mind is to use someone's cellphone as a presence detector.
> Let me explain:
> - as the first thing you take along when leaving a room or location, is
> your own cellphone, why not use chan_mobile and a bluetooth dongle on
> your on PC (as you're not supposed to be within bluetooth range from an
> asterisk server ;-)) to advertise you're away from your desk
>
> - it seems that chan_mobile is not up to expectations for voice delivery
> but would it remain the same for presence detection, if may call it this
> way ?
>
> Thoughts ?

Hi Oliver,

I'm am quite certain I read a bunch of material about using phones +
bluetooth for presence detection. However, any particular reason you are
trying to use Asterisk in this combination? I am quite sure there is
software out there (I think for Windows and Linux) for bluetooth
presence detection. What advantage would Asterisk bring for this scenario?

If you are trying to integrate it with Asterisk so that the phone
switches to voicemail etc. - then maybe it is worth giving those
usb-over-ethernet solutions a shot. After all, you are not trying to do
voice over bluetooth - just detecting the mobile. I'm afraid I don't
have any experience with that though. And I wonder what would the
security implications be of having all those usb ports virtually
connected to the server, but physically located away from the server?

Sebastian