[asterisk-users] Troubleshooting TDMs (Packet capture like debugging)

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 09:43:14 CST 2013

Hi All,

Many thanks for the info, I am now finding the time to look back into
this again.

I have seen this page, which indicates that dahdi_pcap was pushed into
the dahdi driver from version 2.4.0;
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/DAHTOOL-49?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel

I have also seen this page regarding installing dahdi with dahdi_pcap;
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-ss7/2011-September/004519.html

All seems simple enough. I have no test systems with E1s/PRIs
connected. I have a particular production box though which is very
quite and I can schedule a maintenance window in which I can fiddle
with it. If I killed the box it's not really a problem as other boxes
can pick up the load. So my question is this;

Looking on this quiet box I see /usr/src/dahdi-linux-2.4.1.1 which
doesn't include dahdi_pcap. I am thinking of checking out the latest
version and compiling it to test dahdi_pcap. This box has Asterisk
11.3.0 running on Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 LTS.

If I re-route traffic away from this box (having never installed DAHDI
before) can I "simply" shutdown Asterisk, checkout the latest SVN,
compile, reload the kernel module and restart Asterisk?

What can go wrong here? Is this risky, or is it really that simple?

Cheers,
James,