[asterisk-users] Asterisk SIP server on windows

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Wed Dec 4 06:56:03 CST 2013

On Wednesday 04 December 2013, Ruddy Gbaguidi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to build an application that will be an SIP server program that
will
> run on Linux and Windows.
>
> The sip server need only some features such as be able to :
>
> -          Register sip endpoints
>
> -          Answer a call and play a local file
>
> -          Make a dial from one channel to another.
>

> I know asterisk can be stripped to exactly fit my needs. I would like to
> know if there is a way to build it on windows after it has been
stripped.

> Or do I have other alternatives out there ?

Ruddy

  If you can use windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. You can use hyper-v and run a
virtual linux machine (Or the Free Hyper-V Server 2012 R2), VM Ware also
works well. Load asterisk on that and you are set. This is how we run it at
a few very small customers as well as my development machines and it works
great. Best linux builds for Hyper-V we currently have found to be Ubuntu
and Suse.

As both a windows and linux guy I have to concur that loading Asterisk on
windows directly is like putting a V8 on a moped. You may get there, but it
won't be pretty; It's a lot of work, and it would be hell to maintain. (We
do not trust it for production applications)

In all seriousness I have a Asterisk build running on windows and it is
stable but it is a lot of work to get it there and since it is not
maintained by the community it is a full task to keep it up to date. We use
it for in process testing of code that we develop with MS visual studio. If
not for that I would not bother with Asterisk on Windows there would be no
value in it. Especially since the current version of Asterisk now works so
well in virtual environments.

Good luck
Bryant