[asterisk-users] Interconnect Radio units using asterisk

James Sharp james at fivecats.org
Tue Aug 27 00:53:42 CDT 2013

On Aug 26, 2013, at 8:11 PM, Manolo Quijano <manolo.quijano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   This my first mail in the community. My name is Manolo. I'm new in Asterisk. My objective is to control some radio using Asterisk via web.
>
>    In google I could see that the application app_rpt had this goal, but currently is not in the new Asterisk 1.8 or higher.
>
>    Thinking in future, I thought the easer way to do that is to buy some RoIP unit and do the communication with asterisk via SIP or IAX2.
>
>      Someone with experience in these kind of units, could give me some link or P/N of some equipmet that work fine with current version of Asterisk?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Manolo

Hi Manolo,

While not specifically "RoIP" boxes, I've used the Multitech MVP-200 and 400 series VOIP gateways to interface radio systems over SIP. The MVP series boxes come in a model that supports 4-wire E&M interfaces which are pretty common in radio systems.  I programmed the units to auto dial a SIP address when the E&M interface was seized.   They didn't specifically use Asterisk, but I don't see why you couldn't stick Asterisk somewhere in there since SIP is SIP.